Construction of ACID’s Main Canal began near Redding in 1914 and was completed in 1917.
The following year, the District’s 1,249-foot-long concrete flume, known as the aqueduct, was built to carry water across Anderson Gulch in Anderson south to the Bowman Road area of Cottonwood in Tehama County. The flume, which stands 20 feet above the ground, is composed of an 8-by-5-foot concrete box supported by open spandrel arch spans. The structure still stands and functions today and is designated as a point of historical interest.
Instrumental in the formation of Anderson-Cottonwood Irrigation District was Francis C. Carr (1875-1944), a justice of the peace, water rights attorney and State Water Commissioner. He also advocated for the construction of Shasta Dam and Whiskeytown Lake, about 8 miles west of Redding.